Friday, October 1, 2010

Burrito Bowls

I love Chipotle's burrito bowls. Awhile back I found the recipe for the rice, my favorite part, from Chiptole Fan. In the past I have made my own rice, beans, salsa, guacamole, and meat. While REALLY good it takes awhile. This time I made rice, chicken and beans and bought the rest of the ingredients. I usually use canned black beans but decided to try using a bag of beans. They turned out really good and I had LOTS of leftovers that I froze.The rice is great, as always, and the chicken was also really good.

Cilantro Lime Rice
Recipe from Chipotle Fan
Makes 2 servings

Ingredients
  • 2 tsp. fresh cilantro
  • 2/3 cup white basmati rice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Lime
  • Butter

Directions
  1. In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice and lime juice, stir for 1 minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. 
  2. Fluff rice with a fork. Stir in cilantro.

Black Beans
Recipe adapted from Eating Well

Ingredients
  • 1 pound dried beans, such as cannellini beans, black beans, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, great northern beans or pinto beans
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 cups boiling water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  •  Cayenne Pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Soak beans in enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches for 6 hours or overnight. (Alternatively, use the quick-soak method: Place beans in a large pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.)
  2. Drain the beans and place them in a slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Pour in boiling water. Cook, covered, on high until beans are tender, 2 to 3 1/2 hours. Add salt and cayenne pepper, cover, and cook for 15 minutes more.

Chili Lime Chicken Marinade
Recipe from All Recipes

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • cayenne pepper to taste
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and lime juice. Season with chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Place the chicken in a shallow baking dish with the sauce, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour. 

*Note: The Rouse House, I tried responding to your comment but it never published. I updated the recipes. For the rice, I added the cilantro after the rice is finished cooking. For the marinade I used a pound of chicken. I hope you like it if you try it!

    3 comments:

    The Rouse House said...

    I can't wait to try this! I have two questions. At what point do you add the cilantro in the rice? And how much chicken did you use with the marinade measurements?

    The Rouse House said...

    Well, it's taken me almost 6 months but we're trying this tonight, it's cooking now and my mouth is watering! Thanks for answering my questions!

    ErinsOvens said...

    I'm glad you gave it a try. I hope you like it!

    Post a Comment