Thursday, October 7, 2010

Stuffed Acorn Squash

I love fall, especially fall produce. I've tried a lot of the winter squashes, but for some reason, I've never made acorn squash. I found this recipe from Taste of Home and decided to give it a try. It called for rubbed sage which I could have sworn I had. Once I started cooking, I realized I didn't have it so I just used italian seasoning. I thought it turned out good. It's not a difficult recipe to make but it does take a little time. First you have to bake the squash for about an hour, then prep the filling, and then bake the whole thing. Perhaps you could just microwave the squash for a bit until tender to save time. Regardless, I'd probably make this again.



Ingredients
  • 2 small (or 1 medium) acorn squash, halved and seeded
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage (I used Italian Seasoning)
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cooked rice
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions
  1. Invert squash in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Add water and cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, cook beef, onion and celery over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, salt and sage until blended. Add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in rice.
  3. Transfer squash to a baking sheet. Fill cavity with meat mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese and bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment