Friday, October 29, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

I've been trying to find more slow cooker recipes lately. Everytime I look at All Recipes, I find this recipe and put it on my list to try and then never try it. So finally I decided it was time to give it a try. It's almost more like a mexican chili than it is a soup. Maybe I should have added more liquids. But I liked it being thick. I used chicken broth instead of beer because some of the reviews said the beer gave it a weird aftertaste. I topped it with sour cream, cheese, and a little lime juice which was delicious. The only thing missing was fresh cilantro. I also served it with some buttered and toasted whole wheat french bread because I didn't have tortilla chips. Both Matt and I agreed it probably would have been nice to have a few chips.


Ingredients
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
  • 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
  • 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
  • sour cream (optional)
  • lime juice
Directions
  1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, garlic powder, and cumin and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
  2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup to shred. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, lime juice, and a dollop of sour cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment