Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oven Baked Risotto

Matt's been sick so I wanted to make something that would be comforting. My mom makes a baked beef flavored risotto the she and my dad love. That got me interested in finding a recipe for a baked chicken risotto.  I wanted a quick recipe that wasn't as time consuming as typical risotto.  I found one recipe from Martha Stewart and one recipe from Ina Garten. I used both of these recipes to come up with my own recipe. The flavor was great.  It was so easy to make and definitely a comforting meal. I've never had a true risotto so I'm not sure how it compares. But I enjoyed this dish a lot. The recipe can be easily modified to whatever you want.  Use beef broth and stir in beef at the end. Add shrimp instead of chicken. There are many possibilities!

Ingredients
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
  • 5 cups chicken broth, separated (4 cups and 1 cup)
  • 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup  + 4 Tablespoons dry white wine, separated (1/2 cup, 2 Tablespoons, and 2 Tablespoons)
  • 4 Tablespoons butter, separated (3 Tablespoons and 1 Tablespoon)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack set in center of the oven.
  2. Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook several minutes until onion is tender. Add the rice, stir to coat in oil and cook for 1 minute.
  3. Stir in 1/2 cup dry white wine.  Cook for about 1 minute until all the liquid is evaporated.
  4. Stir in 4 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes. Most of the liquid should be absorbed. The rice should be tender but still slightly firm.
  5. While the rice is baking, melt 1 Tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and garlic powder and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add 2 Tablespoons white wine and cook until liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat.
  6. When rice has finished baking, carefully remove the dutch oven from the oven. Stir in remaining 1 cup of chicken broth, 2 Tablespoons white wine, 3 Tablespoons butter, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, chicken, and mushrooms. Risotto should be creamy. If more liquid is needed, add either more chicken broth or white wine. Serve immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment