Monday, February 28, 2011

Creamy Pork and Mushrooms

My friend made a crockpot meal last week with pork and cream of mushroom soup, something my mom made all growing up. It was so yummy and I've been craving it ever since. My only thing was that I really wanted to cook from scratch and not use a cream of mushroom soup. My mom is in town visiting and we looked up some recipes online and then came up with something of our own. I found this recipe that used sour cream, which I already had that on hand, and we just modified it to our liking. I really wanted a shredded pork but I rarely cook pork so I didn't know what cut to use. We went with Boston Butt and it worked well. This was delicious!!! I will definitely be making it again. It almost tasted like a pork stroganoff.

One thing I'll note is that there was a lot of fat that wouldn't blend into the sauce. We drained it off a little bit. My mom actually took paper towels to soak up the grease and that seemed to work well.


Ingredients
  • 3(ish) pound Boston Butt Pork Roast
  • Garlic Powder, Paprika, Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup Chicken Broth
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • 2 Tablespoons flour
Directions
  1. Place onions and mushrooms in the bottom of a crock pot. Add Chicken Broth.
  2. Season pork with garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper. Place on top of onions and mushrooms fat side up. Cook on low 9 1/2 hours.
  3. After 9 1/2 hours, preheat oven to 170 degrees. Remove the pork from the crock pot into an oven safe dish. Place in oven to keep warm.
  4. Mix sour cream and flour. Add to the juices in the crock pot. Cook on high for another 15-30 minutes on high until it's thickened and creamy. Serve over egg noodles and enjoy!
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment