Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mexican Rice

I was looking for a Mexican Rice recipe to go along with my White Chicken Enchiladas. When I found this recipe on Food.com, I got excited. It looked really easy, but it also called for a dutch oven to be used on the stove and in the oven. I just got a dutch oven for Christmas so I couldn't wait to give it a try. The recipe was really easy but really good. It will definitely be a staple recipe. Matt and I usually eat brown rice though so I'll have to figure out if there's a way for me to alter the recipe to use brown rice or if that would just change the taste of it too much.

Ingredients
  • 1 can 14.5 oz Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 medium white onion
  • 2-3 medium jalapenos
  • 2 cups long grain white rice
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 4 minced garlic cloves
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
  • 1 lime
Directions

  1. Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350.
  2. Process tomato and onion in processor or blender until pureed and thoroughly smooth. Transfer mixture to measuring cup and reserve exactly 2 cups. Discard excess.
  3. Remove ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos and discard. Mince flesh and set aside. Mince remaining jalapeno. Set aside.
  4. Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1 1/2 minutes.Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water.
  5. Heat oil in a 10 inch Dutch oven with tight fitting lid over medium high heat about 2 minutes. Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready. Add rice and fry stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
  6. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and 1-2 minced jalapenos and cook , stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.
  7. Stir in broth, pureed mixture, and salt. Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.
  8. Cover pan and transfer pan to oven. Bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes.Stir well after 15 minutes.
  9. Stir in cilantro, minced jalapeno, and lime juice to taste.
According to the recipe, you can also freeze. To freeze: Cool, portion and freeze in a ziploc bag. To reheat from frozen: Place in a pyrex dish and warm in the microwave, stirring every 2-3 minutes until heated through.

Source: Food.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment