Thursday, September 23, 2010

Baked Vidalia Onion Dip

Several years ago, Matt and I went with my parents to a dinner party. The hostess made a vidalia onion dip that we all devoured. Last week, my mom needed an appetizer to take to a party and I suggested the dip. Ever since, I'd been craving it. She found several recipes, but we agreed that this one looked the best. It did not disappoint. Everyone loved the dip. I'm glad I used water chestnuts because I liked the crunch. I served this with butter crackers. My mom said the people at her party used sweet potato chips and loved it.

Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 3 large vidalia onions, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded swiss cheese
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 garlic clove, minced, or more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce



Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add chopped Vidalia onions, and saute about 10 minutes or until tender.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together shredded Swiss cheese, mayonnaise, water chestnuts, white wine, garlic and Tabasco sauce; stir in onion, blending well.
  4. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
  5. Bake for 25 minutes, and let stand 10 minutes.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm craving this again! Yum!!!

Post a Comment