Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pistachio Crusted Chicken with Raspberry Sauce and Roasted Brussel Sprouts

I have really been enjoying pistachios lately and when I came across this recipe for Pistachio crusted chicken, I knew I'd have to try it. Matt helped me shell a bunch of pistachios which was really nice. My fingers were hurting after awhile. Reviewers said they paired the chicken with a raspberry sauce, which I also made. For a side, I decided to go with roasted brussel sprouts. I grew up being forced to eat my brussel sprouts, traumatizing mom!, and I hated them. I figured I would find a recipe that looked good, give it a try, and if I still don't like them at least I know I tried.

The chicken was pretty good. The only problem I had was that I don't like mustard. It melded well with the pistachios but just got to be a bit much for me. Matt really liked it though, especially with the raspberry sauce. The brussel sprouts were acutally good. I don't know if I'd make them all the time. But for an occasional side dish they were good. The original recipe said to sprinkle them with lemon juice which I didn't have. I'd like to try it next time though because that sounds good.


Pistachio Crusted Chicken

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chopped pistachios
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 chicken cutlets
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Mix together pistachios and bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together Dijon mustard, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper until smooth. Dip chicken into Dijon mixture to coat, then coat with bread crumbs. Place onto prepared baking sheet.
  3. Place into preheated oven and turn the oven down to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake until the chicken is no longer pink and the pistachio coating is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
 Raspberry Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Directions
  1. In the skillet, combine raspberry jam, orange juice, and vinegar. Bring to a boil, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until sauce is reduced to desired consistency (sauce will thicken as it cools). 
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
adapted from Fine Cooking #70, Feb/Mar

Ingredients
  • 1 lb Brussel sprouts
  • 1-2 medium shallots, peeled and sliced
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425F. 
  2. Trim the base of the Brussels sprouts with a knife. Peel off the outer leaves and cut the sprouts in half. 
  3. Toss sprouts, shallots, olive oil, salt, and pepper together. Pour into a large enough baking pan so that there is a single layer of sprouts on the pan. 
  4. Roast for 15 minutes and remove from oven to toss the sprouts around. Roast another 15 minutes and repeat. Roast a final 10 minutes and remove from oven (total time should be about 40 minutes). Sprinkle with more salt. Serve hot. (The darker and crispier the better!)

1 comments:

Nancy said...

Ahh! We didn't mean to traumatize you!!! But you have to eat your greens! We'll have to try this... and I especially think the chicken sounds good!

Post a Comment